BEST OF SUMMER RECIPES
Archive Post: July 2014 Summer is here and it’s halfway gone all at the same time! Summer is the best time of the year, lots of time to be outside enjoying the weather, friends, family and lots and lots of food and drinks. Instead of preaching what you already know today, I am just going to give you a few of my favorite summer recipes that are not to be skipped before summer is over! These recipes have you mixing fruits and veggies into combos you may have never thought of before, but you won’t regret eating any of them, and that is a promise! Enjoy!
Cantaloupe Salad with Basil, Fresh Mozzarella & Onions
Hey now that everyone loves watermelon mixed with feta, give cantaloupe a little play and try mixing it with mozz!
1 medium cantaloupe, cut into 1 inch cubes 10-20 leaves of basil, chopped 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced 1 cup fresh mozzarella ~2 tbsp Olive oil ~2 tbsp Red wine vinegar Juice from one lime
Agave Nectar or Honey – drizzle
In a large bowl, toss the cantaloupe, basil strips, red onions and mozzarella together. Lightly dress the salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Juice one lime and toss into the salad.
2 small ears of uncooked corn 2 medium tomatoes 1 can black beans 1 bunch scallions 1 cucumber 1 small bunch Parsley 1 small bunch Cilantro 2 limes (juice of) Garlic* Salt & Pepper* *to taste Directions: 1. Chop all veggies into bite sized pieces – cut corn off the cob, uncooked and mix into bowl 2. Mix together Optional: Mix in quinoa or brown rice and top with feta cheese
1 mango 4 medium strawberries 1/2 red pepper - diced
Juice of 1 lemon Juice of 1 lime ½ medium red onion, chopped fine 1 handful, cilantro – diced
Optional: Add in tomatoes and/or pineapple Directions:
1. Prepare your ingredients.
2. Chop fruits and veggies into a dice.
3. Cut cilantro into bite sized pieces.
4. Squeeze lemon and lime over the mixture.
5. Optional to squeeze a little honey over salsa mixture when finished to add sweetness.
2 pieces whole grain naan bread – can also use a whole wheat pizza crust (thin) or whole wheat pita – if neither options available, can make on a smaller scale with a whole wheat English muffin
1/2 cup blueberries 1 bosc pear (sliced) 1/2 cup blackberries 2 figs sliced thin 1 cup baby arugula 4 oz spreadable goat cheese 1/2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Place naan on a baking sheet. Spread the goat cheese evenly on the naan slices.
3. Drizzle honey/agave on top of cheese
4. Add the blueberries, blackberries, pear and figs on top of goat cheese. Place in oven & bake for 15 minutes or until naan is toasted.
5. Remove from oven and add ½ cup arugula to each pizza. Slice and enjoy!
Enjoy all of summer’s freshest flavors in the most delicious, #happyslimhealthy ways.